Monday, March 2, 2009

Drawing a lesson

A new study shows that people who doodle during boring meetings or classes actually retain more information than those who don't. The theory is that doodling at least keeps your mind in the room, instead of tuning out altogether and daydreaming.

Note: it works in dull settings. So, fellow learning leaders, next time we encounter doodlers, rather than getting snarky about their lack of attention, maybe we need to find ways to engage them more fully. (That's our mission at Workplace.)

Probably not the best thing to point out to the boss, though, during that endless monthly meeting...

Illustration via FlickrCC on a Creative Commons license.
Can't you just imagine the meeting this came out of?

3 comments:

Femaledrmr said...

I was going to send this to my boss. I wonder what she would say?

Femaledrmr said...

I was going to send this to my boss. Why not? Does it imply that the meeting was boring? Doesn't the boss already know that?

Beverly Feldt said...

Amazingly, lots of people don't realize their meetings are boring. (Frankly, I've been known not to realize I'm boring when I open up on one of my favorite topics.) But then, maybe the rampant doodling might be a clue...in the meeting, I mean. Even when I'm boring at cocktail parties, people rarely doodle.