Monday, March 9, 2009

Failure to thrive

I've been reading Jonah Lehrer's excellent new book How We Decide, and this morning I turned up something that startled me but makes utter sense.

People who are praised for innate intelligence end up learning less and performing more poorly than those who are praised for their effort.

Lehrer describes the experiments of Carol Dweck, a Stanford psychologist who gave hundreds of school children an easy test, told them their scores, and then gave each one sentence of praise. Half were told, "You must be really smart," and the other half were told, "You must have worked really hard."

Then all the children were given a choice to take a hard test or an easy one. Overwhelmingly, the children praised for their effort chose the harder test, while those who had been commended for their intelligence chose the easier one. And on a final test of the same difficulty as the intial one, the "hard workers" improved their scores by an average of 30 percent, while the "smart" kids' results actually dropped by nearly 20 percent.

Dweck wrote that praising children for their intelligence teaches them not to risk making mistakes; Lehrer points out that "it encourages kids to avoid the most useful kind of learning activities, which is learning from mistakes." The most effective masters of any skill actively look for their mistakes, to train their brains to avoid them next time.

I encourage you to read the book; Lehrer explains the neurological reasons why lots of failure is essential to learning.

How many of our learners (and how many of us) don't reach the levels we could because we have been taught to avoid making errors? How can we set up learning situations to help failure-averse people, whose sense of self-worth may be tied up in making no mistakes, and therefore learning nothing?

3 comments:

Tamar Chansky said...

Thanks for this post, I look forward to reading the book. I found it on a google search for "failure," an interest of mine. Inspired in part by Dweck's work, I included a chapter on failure in my new book, Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking: Powerful, Practical Strategies to Build a Lifetime of Resilience, Flexibility and Happiness.

Learning resilience, has to do with taking challenges in doses and not generalizing specific mistakes or disappointments to global failures or personal flaws. If we can teach these lessons to our children when they are young, imagine their potential as adults!

Tamar Chansky
www.freeingyourchild.com

Beverly Feldt said...

Thanks, Tamar. Your books look wonderful! (I rather wish they had been around when I was an anxious child.)

Would your strategies work equally well for adults? Resilience is a quality we could all use these days.

Let's keep the conversation going.

Femaledrmr said...

I too was an anxious fearful child, and a somewhat anxious adult! I wish I had understood or could share what I was experiencing with others. I was too embarrassed and to scared to do it. I told myself that everyone must feel this way.

I too would like to know if adults could use these strategies.
Thanks,
Michelle